United Nations Consultant Job Vacancy in Arusha Tanzania July 2012
Job Title: Consultant (East Africa community disaster risk reduction and management unit)
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
UNISDR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of UNISDR and requesting the payment of a fee, please immediately contact email@example.com When applying for a UNISDR vacancy by e-mail, please apply only through this site.
Close date: 3 Aug 2012
United Nations Core Values:
Integrity Professionalism Respect for diversity
Created in December 1999, the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR) is the designated focal point in the United Nations system for the coordination of disaster reduction and to ensure synergies among the disaster reduction activities of the United Nations and regional organizations and activities in socio-economic and humanitarian fields. Led by the United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction, UNISDR has over 100 staff located in its HQ in Geneva, Switzerland, and 5 regional offices and other field presences. Specifically, UNISDR coordinates international efforts in disaster risk reduction, and guides, monitors and reports on the progress of the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action; campaigns to create global awareness of disaster risk reduction benefits and empower people to reduce their vulnerability to hazards; advocates for greater investments in disaster risk reduction to protect people’s lives and assets, and for increased and informed participation of men and women in reducing disaster risk; and informs and connects people by providing practical services and tools such as Prevention Web, publications on good practices, and by leading the preparation of the Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction and the organization of the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction.
UNISDR Regional Office for Africa will be implementing a European Commission for Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO) funded project entitled “Integrated Drought/Disaster Risk Reduction in the Greater Horn of Africa (GHA)”. The project is designed to target government institutions in charge of drought risk reduction as well as practitioners and community members in drought prone areas in Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia as well as the East African Community Secretariat. Building on existing initiatives, UNISDR supports state and non- state actors to integrate disaster risk reduction in development and relief efforts.
Duties and responsibilites
Under the direct supervision of the head of the UNISDR Regional Office for Africa, the consultant will:
1. Support work and coordination of the sub-regional East Africa Community (EAC) Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Platform, including organization of meetings, work plan and technical inputs.
2. Develop content for policy-related fora and discussions at regional level.
3. Draft strategy paper for East Africa Community to integrate Disaster Risk Reduction into Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) activities.
4. Develop simple and clear guidelines for implementing the Disaster Risk Reduction DRR strategy.
5. Drive Regional Reporting of Progress in the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action in the East Africa Community region.
6. Support application of Disaster Loss Database for regional analyses of disaster impacts.
7. Develop a draft version of data-sharing protocols and Disaster Risk Reduction DRR knowledge management portal for East Africa Community to be implemented in the sub region by the East Africa Community Partner states.
8. Assist the disaster management unit to manage sub-regional disaster reduction and ensure technical support to interventions at country level in line with the implementation of the Africa Programme of Action.
9. Undertake any other functions, duties as maybe required by the General Secretary of the East Africa Community and the Head of the related disaster risk management unit of East Africa Community, in coordination with the Regional Coordinator of the UNISDR regional office for Africa.
Scope of Work
1. Ensure strong cooperation between East Africa Community and UNISDR for institutional cooperation.
2. Use of National Disaster Loss Database information utilised for Disaster Risk Reduction. planning within the East Africa Community.
3. Outline Strategy to integrate Disaster Risk Reduction into Climate Change Adaptation activities in the East Africa Community region.
4. Coordinate drafting of and discussions on Data-sharing protocols and Disaster Risk Reduction knowledge management including drought risk reduction action plans.
5. Support to national Disaster Risk Management institutions and counterparts to harmonize Disaster Risk Reduction/Management (DRR/DRM) and other relevant policies.
6. Coordinate the Institutionalization of East Africa Community sub-regional Disaster Risk Reduction Platform.
7. Support the functionality of the East Africa Community Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Unit
8. Generate a regional Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA) progress report for the East Africa Community region
9. Produce a substantive bi-monthly progress report (A4, MS Word format in English)
10. Coordinate the development of an East Africa Community Disaster Risk Reduction Training manual
11. Coordinate the mapping of and capacity assessments of existing major training centers that can offer capacity-building programmes on Disaster Risk Reduction specialized institutions in East Africa.
1. Draft Final East Africa Community Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation Strategy.
2. East Africa Community Hyogo Framework for Action Progress Report.
3. Draft Data- and Knowledge Sharing Protocols.
4. Convening of at least one East Africa Community Disaster Risk Reduction Platform including tangible outcome product generated such as Work Plan, implementation strategy.
5. Support the implementation of the East Africa Community Disaster Risk Management Unit Work Plan.
6. Involvement by other East Africa Community Units in Disaster Risk Reduction work.
7. Documenting of technical support to East Africa Community member states.
8. Development of the East Africa Community Disaster Risk Reduction Training Manual.
9. Mapping and assessment of existing major training centers that can offer capacity-building programmes on Disaster Risk Reduction and as specialized institutions in East Africa.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organization goals.
Planning and Organization: Demonstrates ability to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required.
Advanced university degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in development studies, social sciences, environmental sciences or other related field.
• A minimum of five years of work experience in disaster risk reduction, project management and hazard early warning systems.
• Experience in community-based disaster risk management and multi-stakeholder coordination.
• Good knowledge of International Development Issues and/or Disaster Management.
• Working experience in African Regional Economic Communities.
Fluency in written and spoken English.
Consultancy. Duration: 11 months
Date of entry: as soon as possible
How to apply
Please email the following documents to the ISDR secretariat at: firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Cover letter, explaining why you consider yourself qualified and motivated for this particular assignment.
2. Completed personal history profile form (The P11 form can be downloaded from http://www.unisdr.org/who-we-are/vacancies ).
3. It would be appreciated your stating your full name and the ISDR vacancy notice number (ISDR/C/17/2012) as the subject in your e-mail of application.
Deadline: 3rd August 2012